Monday, May 20, 2013

a week of smoothies



Every single day I drink at least one smoothie.  I love them.  They are so easy and refreshing and can easily be packed with fruit and veggies and other good for you stuff.

I get in smoothie ruts {hellooooo strawberry-banana} and wanted to mix it up a bit, so I created several new smoothie recipes....or combos.  These aren't so much "recipes" as they are various combinations.


My favorite smoothie components are some sort of "milk" {unsweetened vanilla almond and unsweetened coconut are the two I use}, fruit, spinach or kale, and maybe a splash of juice or protein powder or chia seeds or flax meal.

I have found that it's kind of hard to make a gross smoothie.  Some I don't love, but they are all pretty good.

My newest favorite is the watermelon-coconut.  It's even better if the watermelon is frozen - so refreshing on a warm day.

All of these smoothies are around 150 calories each will make two 8-ish ounce servings.  You can use frozen or fresh fruit {Trader Joe's has the best frozen fruit} and if your blender needs help, add a little water.

Mango-Melon
-1/2 of a mango {peeled, chopped}
-1 cup chopped cantaloupe
-2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla coconut milk
-1/4 cup orange juice
-1/2 a banana
-2 tablespoons chia seeds
-ice and water for blending {if needed}


Mixed Berry {serves 2}
-1/2 a banana
-1/2 cup mixed berries {I used the frozen "berry medley" from Trader Joe's}
-1 handful of kale or spinach
-3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
-ice and water for blending {if needed}



Pineapple-Orange-Spinach
-1 orange {peeled and sliced}
-1/4 cup pineapple
-1/2 a banana
-a large handful of fresh spinach
-3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla coconut milk
-ice and water for blending {if needed}


Peach Pie
-2 peaches, diced
-1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
-1 scoop vanilla protein powder
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-2 tablespoons chia seeds
-ice and water for blending {if needed}


Watermelon-Coconut
-2 cups watermelon
-1/2 cup coconut water
-1 banana
-1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla coconut milk
-ice and water for blending {if needed}


Green Love
-1 kiwi {peeled and sliced}
-a large handful of fresh kale
-1 a banana
-a splash of orange juice {about 1/4 cup}
-1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla coconut milk
-ice and water for blending {if needed}

Strawberry Vanilla
-1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
-1 scoop vanilla protein powder
-3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
-1/2 a banana
-ice and water for blending {if needed}

Smoothies for days!  Do you have any favorite smoothie combinations?


8 comments:

  1. My husband and I were just talking about how we need to learn how to make some of our favorites smoothies at home. Our blender has not been used in years! Some of these recipes might be just what the doctor ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all look amazing! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to pin them so I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look delicious!!! so yummy!!!

    xxS

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! I can't decide what to try first! I have been adding a frozen banana to my Silk Mocha or Vanilla Latte beverage in the morning, but need to get more fresh fruits and veggies and this is a great way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so amazing!!! I love your glasses, they are gorgeous!!!!


    www.andwithlovea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree that sounds and looks delicious! I should try as well! Later I will post how it went :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I love that pineapple, orange, spinach one!

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for your comment! i read and enjoy each and every one :).

Designed by Jackie Ayr